The GIAC exam for the SANS Foundations course is considered open book in the following way:
- You may have any paper-based materials that you can print or create yourself, just as you would be able to take into an external test centre.
- Computer-created or computer-printed notes that you have printed.
- Hand-written paper notes.
There are no limits to the printed materials you can have with you during the exam. However, we strongly recommend that you don't have hundreds of pages as the exam has a strict time limit and you need to be able to find things efficiently. A useful tip is to prepare for the exam to be answered almost entirely from your own head, with notes to help you remember key things.
During the exam, you will not be able to access:
- Any websites or computer-based materials
- The SANS Foundations online course
You are permitted to print a single copy of portions of the SANS Foundations course material for your own usage during the exam. However, you may not distribute or share any printed, copyright course material. These are for your sole use and reference during the exam only.